Saturday, January 17, 2009

QBOM 2008

Well, since my deadline for the drawing at the local quilt store was today, I was happy to stay up way too late last night to finish quilting this quilt and adding the binding. This is my 2008 Quilt Block of the Month project that I did with the class at the quilt store. It was a lot of fun. I learned some new piecing techniques each month as I worked on these blocks. Then there was always that fact that the first block was only $5 and provided I brought the finished block to class the next month the following month's block was free! You gotta LOVE that!! I was able to pick up the sashing, border, and backing fabric after Christmas for 60% off, too! I love the colors and thought I did pretty well with this one. This was also the very first quilt that I actually designed myself (I'm talking the layout here, obviously I followed the block patterns from the store each month). Anywhere, the colors are right up my alley and it was a lot of fun. This was also my first attempt with free motion quilting. Basically, that means that I made up the design of the stitching in the quilting. I had no pattern to follow or a stencil. I just kind of moved it around and had fun with it. I did do a table runner for a Christmas gift this year so in a quilt size, this was my first. Anyway, I liked it and was pretty proud!

Here is a close up of my favorite block. It was the most fun to make and there's something about it that I really like!






3 comments:

Andrea said...

That looks great! You make me want to make something now! Better yet, I could probably just pay you...Glad to see an update!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweetie
I'm not sure if I like the Stealth Bomber in the bottom row or the other two in the bottom row--but they are all really cool--I just like the pastels--like the dragonfly. Love you

Mom

ForTheLoveOfOrphans said...

YOU DID IT! I KNEW YOU WOULD.
I think it's beautiful, but knowing you, you probably found a couple "flaws" already. Remember...those "flaws" (if they exist), make it all the more personal; and beautiful.