Monday, April 27, 2009

The smile that lights my days

That's it-that's the smile that lights my days and fills them with laughter and joy. There isn't a day that goes by that Sarah doesn't crack me up with something she does or says. Often people say things like, 'You're such good people," or "How wonderful of you," when they ask if Sarah's adopted and I tell them yes. But I feel like they're missing the point...or missing the boat. I couldn't love this girl any more if I birthed her from my body and she gives me so much more than I provide for her. I don't feel like adopting Sarah makes me a good person or special by any means.

I am so blessed to be her Mom and it brings joy to my life to hear her call me "Mommy," "Mama," "Mom," and all variations she chooses depending on her mood. Sometimes I look at her and can't believe that I'm her Mom, that God put it on our hearts to fill out mounds of paperwork, save (and fundraise) LOTS of money, travel all the way across the world, and fill out more paperwork to become parents to the most amazing little 4 1/2 year old girl. To me the way she became my daughter is insignificant-the fact that she IS my daughter-that is what matters. I think SHE'S the special one. I'm just the one that God chose to be her Mom.

No comments: